MINI FOIE GRAS CREMES BRULEES (by Maman)
Maman loves, loves, loves foie gras. From Bordeaux (the land of French vineyards and traditional fare such as foie gras), her family used to serve fois gras in all shapes and form (raw, half-cooked, fully cooked like a steak etc.) and of course, as a Christmas dinner must have. A few years back, she experimented with different ways to enjoy her favorite foie gras and came up with these deliciously bold foie gras creme brûlées. Inspired by her South-West roots (from Bordeaux), she associates savory and sweet by mixing foie gras with ginger bread. I don't particularly share Maman's love for foie gras but do love these mini creme brûlées (plus, they are so very easy to make). Bon appetit!
Serves 10 l Difficulty: Medium l Prep time: 40m l Total time: 3h40
5 oz foie gras
2 gingerbread slices
4 egg yolks
1 cup creme fraiche
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 tablespoon butter
1. Preheat oven at 320F.
2. Mix fois gras and creme fraiche.
3. Add egg yolks, salt and pepper.
4. Butter mini gratin dishes (we used these) and fill each of them with mixture.
5. Fill a normal-size baking dish with warm water, just enough for the mini gratin dishes to dip in 3/4 water.
6. Bake for 50 minutes to one hour.
7. Once cooled, place the mini gratin dishes in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
8. Before serving, crumble the gingerbread on top of each mini gratin dish and place in the oven for 30 seconds or until golden.
9. Serve with an asparagus and artichoke heart salad.