PESTO, PROSCUITTO & CHEESE PIE (by France)
This is the ultimate Christmas pie... The prosciutto, pesto and cheese are deliciously wrapped into some decadent puff pastry and the tree-shaped format makes everyone smile, especially kids. Bon appetit!
Serves 6 l Difficulty: Medium l Prep time: 20min l Total time: 30min
2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
1/4-1/2 cup pesto
8 strips prosciutto, approx. 4 oz (NOTE: Prosciutto is very salty. If your pesto is on the salty side as well, you may want to swap out the prosciutto for deli ham)
1/2 cup shredded gruillere or any type of cheese
1 tbsp water
1. Preheat your oven to 375°. Cover baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place your first sheet of puff pastry on the baking sheet. Spread a layer of pesto across the pastry in the shape of a giant triangle. Spread a small rectangle of pesto at the bottom of the triangle (this will be the trunk). You want the edge of the pesto to be at least an inch from the edge of the pastry at all times (filling can leak out during cooking).
3. Place your strips of prosciutto on top of the pesto and sprinkle your cheese on top of that.
4. Whisk the egg with 1 tbsp water. Brush the exposed portions of pastry with egg wash. Place your second sheet of pastry on top of the first sheet, gently pressing it into place. Cut away the un-filled portion of pastry, leaving about 1 inch between the filling and the trimmed edge of the pastry. You should be left with a large tree shape.
5. Starting from the bottom of the triangle and working your way up, use a sharp knife to cut 1-inch wide strips along one side of the triangle, stopping about 1 inch from the center of the tree. Do the same with the other side (this will create the branches and give you a 2-inch “trunk”). Make sure to cut all the way through the prosciutto, since that is the toughest part of the filling.
6. Brush the tree with egg wash. Twist each “branch” into a spiral.
7. Place the baking sheet in your oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until the top of the pastry begins to turn golden brown. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes on the pan.