When Maman was a kid, she was taught to never waste any food, especially NOT bread! We all know how sacred bread is in France... she was taught this simple French toast recipe then and has been making it ever since. Now she's playing around with shapes and serving styles... like this Japanese looking French toast. Bon appetit!
Serves 4 l Difficulty: very easy l Prep time: 10min l Total time: 15min
6 brioche slices (it's better if they are a little dry)
1/2 cup creme fraiche (sour cream)
1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 butter stick
1.5 tablespoons sugar
1. Beat eggs into an omelette, then add cream. Mix well and add vanilla extract then mix again.
2. Cut 6 slices of brioche bread. Dip each slice of brioche into the egg mix.
3. Place 6" springform cake pan in a pan that you heat with butter (I used this one). Fill the cake pan with one slice of bread. If your slice isn't round to start with, take pieces of a second bread slice to make a circle shape. The slices should be mossy so spreading the bread against the edges of the cake pan should be easy. This is how you will get the round shape Maman made and is showing in the picture above.
4. Cook the slice until golden and repeat with other slices.
5. Sprinkle them with sugar or other topping of your choice.