I've been seeing those breakfast bars all over on Instagram so decided to give it a try with this week's ingredient: rhubarb... and strawberries (in the picture above, the rhubarb doesn't show as much as the strawberries do but I promise that adding rhubarb is delicious!). They're a great way to start the morning in a healthy way. The great thing about this recipe is that you get to make one big batch over the weekend and enjoy a square every morning for the week to come. Bon appetit!
Serves 10 l Difficulty: easy l Prep time: 15min l Total time: 50min
2 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup almond flour
1/4 tsp hemp seeds
2 tablespoons coconut sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup almond butter
1 cup sliced rhubarb (about 2.5 stalks)
1 cup chopped strawberries
1. Preheat your oven to 347F. Prepare a pan with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a big bowl mix all the dry ingredients together with a spoon.
3. In a small saucepan, melt the coconut oil, add the maple syrup, almond butter, mix, and slightly heat it all up over very low heat just so that the maple syrup and almond butter aren't cold enough to solidify the coconut oil again. Mix well so the mixture is perfectly runny.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix with a spoon until everything is well coated.
5. Fold in the chopped rhubarb and strawberries.
6. Transfer the dough into your pan and press it down with the spoon to make a 2.5-3" thick rectangle or square.
7. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden on top. You know it's done when the dough starts peeling off the sides of the parchment paper.
8. Cool down completely before cutting. (believe me on this - it will crumble if you cut it too soon)
Store at room temperature for 3-4 days.