In honor of #aisforapples, a collaboration with fabulous food bloggers like Square Meal Round Table, Cloudy Kitchen, Wood and Spoon, The Kitchen Sink, Ful.Filled, Annie Campbell, Cocoa and Salt, here is Maman's apple & camembert tarte tatin: a sweet combination of two classic French dishes, baked Camembert and apple tarte tatin. Bon appetit!
Serves 6 l Difficulty: easy l Prep time: 20min l Total time: 1h10
1 puff pastry sheet
5 apples, large
1.5 camembert cheese
1/2 cup Calvados (10cl)
3 tablespoons brown sugar
Pinch of pepper
1. Heat the oven at 400F (200C). Peel apples and dice them in small pieces. Cook them in a pan with the sugar at high fire, mixing frequently until the apples are caramelized.
2. Place the apples at the bottom of a cake mold (Maman used a silicone mold but if you're not, you should layered the mold with wax paper before laying down the apples).
3. Cover the whole layer of apples with thin slices of camembert. Sprinkle a pinch of pepper on top.
4. Cover the apple & camembert layer with 1 sheet of puff pastry.
5. Bake cake in the oven for 35-40 minutes.
6. Unmold the cake once a bit cooler by turning it upside down.