HONEY-CARAMEL NUT TART (by Maman)
Maman associates the cold weather and end-of-year holidays with all things decadent including dried fruits desserts which are so often made with honey. Honey holds a special place in her heart as her late father (my 'Papy') LOOOOVED honey. Every time she eats it or cooks with it, it's like as if she was having a moment with him again. This tart is delicious and super easy to make - a holiday favorite. Bon appetit!
Serves 6 l Difficulty: easy l Prep time: 10min l Total time: 30min
1 pie crust or puff pastry sheet (or pate brisee for our French followers)
1/4 cup walnuts (50g)
1/4 cup almonds, peeled (50g)
1/4 cup chestnuts (50g)
1/4 cup pistachios (50g)
1/4 cup pecans (50g)
5 tablespoons honey, liquid
1/3 cup creme fraiche (20cl)
1/2 stick butter, softened (50g)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence
A pinch of salt
1. Heat your oven at 350F (180C). Place the pie crust or puff pastry onto a parchment-paper lined pie pan.
2. Place baking beans onto the dough (we use these) or metal spoons to hold the dough down while baking without any filling. Bake the dough into the oven for 20min.
3. While dough is baking, roughly break the walnuts into a pan, adding the almonds and chestnuts in. Sautee the nuts until slightly golden and set aside.
4. In a sauce pan, add the honey and the creme fraiche until melted together.
5. Take sauce pan off the stove and add the softened butter, vanilla and pinch of salt. Mix well until smooth.
6. Spread the dried fruits onto the baked dough and pour the caramel sauce on top if it. The sauce will harden as it cools.
7. Serve luke warm or cool with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.