This week's core ingredient was GRAPEFRUIT. Maman made a Grapefruit Clafoutis; I made a refreshing Summery salad. Why? If you live in NY, then you know why... Until only a few days ago, Spring in New York has been cold, wet and grey. Like all other New Yorkers I've been longing for some sun and Summery fare! This fresh, Summery salad is light yet filling, chock full of refreshing citrus (like grapefruits & oranges) and protein-packed wild salmon, avocado and almonds. It's simply seasoned with some avocado oil, for some bright green color, and some fleur de sel, for an added crunch. I've made it pretty for the picture but it tastes better when all ingredients are tossed together. Messy always tastes better. Enjoy & let us know what you think!
Serves 4 l Difficulty: medium l Prep time: 25min l Total time: 35min
2 large avocados, ripe
4 egg whites
8 waffles dark chocolate
4 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon caster sugar
1. Preheat oven at 350F.
2. Cut avocados down the middle, take out their pits and scoop out the meat off their shell.
3. Mix avocado meat into a smooth puree.
4. In a bowl, whisk egg whites adding 1 pinch of salt and pouring in, half way, the sugar little bit little. Whisk until you get a firm and shiny snow-like consistence. Watch this video if you need help with whisking egg whites. This is what will give your souffles the airiness we all love so try to do it properly.
5. Slowly mix the avocado puree into the whisked eggs. Mix the two gently... here is a video on how to do it.
6. Pour the mixture into small porcelain ramequins (I made mine in these) and glide in their center, 2 pieces of chocolate.
7. Bake for 10 minutes and pour caster sugar over the top of each soufflés before serving.