This is Nanou's recipe, Maman's mom, my grandma. It used to be her go-to cake recipe, the cake she made in between correcting students' copies (she was a French teacher) and hosting for my grandpa's many professional dinners (they hosted professional dinners at each others' homes back then). For Nanou, a recipe was only successful if it was quick to make yet fully made from scratch. A balance that's difficult to achieve for most of us - but this recipe can help!
Maman loves to make it because it's simple and quick to make with all sorts of fruits. Some have to be drained very well before being mixed with the cake batter because they are almost too juicy. Bon appetit!
Serves 4 l Difficulty: easy l Prep time: 15min l Total time: 1h
2 cups cherries
4.5 tablespoons sugar
2.5 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1. Wash and dry off cherries (take out pits if you have kids).
2. Preheat oven at 350F.
3. In a large bowl, beat eggs, pour sugar and mix. Add flour, vanilla sugar, milk and mix well.
4. Place cherries at the bottom of each individual baking dish (we got ours here) and pour over cake mix on top of cherries.
5. Bake for 40-45 minutes. To check if clafoutis is baked, insert a toothpick inside. It should come out dry.
6. When out of the oven, sprinkle caster sugar. Serve warm or cool.