STRAWBERRY TART (by Maman)
Simple is almost always better. Maman's recipe comes from her disliking the traditional cream filling that most strawberry tarts are made with. You know that white 'creme patissiere' that most fruit desserts are made on? When she was a kid, Maman and her sister, didn't like that at all so their mom, Nanou, came up with a simpler red berry jam coulis that could simply be poured over the strawberries. It not only binds the fruit to the dough but also adds a beautiful shine and mouth-watering sweetness to the tart. Bon appetit!
Serves 4 l Difficulty: easy l Prep time: 10min l Total time: 35min
2 cups flour
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 pinch of salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups fresh strawberries
1 cup red berry jam
1 lemon, juiced
1. In a bowl, mix together flour, butter, sugar, salt and baking powder.
2. Add egg and knead dough by hand into a ball.
3. Wrap ball into cellophane and place it in the fridge for minimum of an hour.
4. Preheat oven at 350F and spread the dough onto a floured surface, into a 2/3 inch thick circle.
5. Place circle onto tart pan and, with a fork, pierce the dough across its entire surface.
6. Stick it in the oven for 15-20 minutes and take out of the oven to let it cool.
1. While dough is baking, cut heads of strawberries so they can stand flat on the tart dough.
2. Place them on the tart dough starting from the center, and working your way out towards the edges. If you end up with empty spots, cut strawberries in half or quarters, down their height to cover the whole tart.
3. In a sauce pan, liquify red berry jam with lemon juice, on medium heat. It will take about 5 minutes, make sure you mix continuously during that time. Set aside to let it cool completely.
4. Once cool, pour the red berry/lemon juice coulis onto the strawberries and serve as is.