GLUTEN-FREE HEIRLOOM TOMATO & GOAT CHEESE GALETTE (by France)
When I was a kid, while my sisters' favorite foods were cakes and ice cream... mine was goat cheese and cherry tomatoes. I was obsessed with both. I'm not sure why that was but, as an adult, they still have a very special place in my heart. Here is the nostalgic combo of my two favorite ingredients: a gluten-free goat cheese & heirloom tomato tart. It's easy to make and delicious to everyone. Bon appetit!
Serves 6-8 l Difficulty: easy l Prep time: 30min l Total time: 1hr
1 gluten-free puff pastry sheet (I bought this one at Whole Foods)
4 shallots, diced
2 teaspoons olive oil + more for drizzling
8 oz goat cheese
4 heirloom tomatoes, sliced
1/2 teaspoon sea salt & black peppercorn
2 strands fresh thyme
1 large egg, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 375F and take out the frozen puff pastry dough from freezer.
2. In small skillet saute shallots with olive oil until they are lightly caramelized (~10 minutes), then remove from heat to cool.
3. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and sprinkle flour onto a flat surface to roll out, with a floured rolling pin roll, the puff pastry into the shape you would like your galette to have (oval, rectangular, etc.). Then transfer to parchment-lined baking sheet.
4. Crumble goat cheese in a circular motion over the rolled-out dough, leaving a roughly 2″ border along the edges. Evenly top with caramelized shallots. Next, liberally season sliced tomatoes with salt & pepper before layering over goat cheese and shallots. Generously drizzle additional olive oil over tomatoes, then lastly sprinkle with thyme.
5. Fold up the edges of the dough around the tomatoes, then brush the crust with beaten egg.
6. Bake galette for 30min (or more as needed) until the crust is golden and the tomatoes have begun to char, then cool for 2-3 minutes before serving.