Maman's potato & creme fraiche pie is deliciously hearty. It's simple to do and makes for the perfect Winter or Fall dinner meal. Bon appetit!
Serves 4 l Difficulty: easy l Prep time: 20min l Total time: 75min
2 puff pastry sheets
3.3 pounds potatoes
Salt and pepper
1.25 cups creme fraiche (ricotta or sour cream)
1. Heat oven to 430F and peal & cut potatoes into thin slices
2. Cook potatoes into a pan of boiling water and cook for 2 mins. Drain well, tip back into the saucepan and mix with the crème fraîche. Season, sprinkle over the salt and pepper and set aside.
3. Dust your work surface with flour, roll the first block of pastry to a circle about 28cm wide and place on a baking tray. Arrange the potatoes in the middle of the pastry, leaving a 1cm border at the edge of the pastry.
4. Roll the second pastry sheet out to a circle about 30cm wide. Brush the edges of the pastry on the tray with egg, then drape over the larger pastry circle and seal the sides well, crimping as you go round. A tight seal is important to stop the creme fraiche escaping.
5. Brush all over with egg and lightly score a spiral into the pastry with the back of a knife. Bake the pie for 30 mins until golden brown and puffed up. As soon as the pie comes out of the oven, glaze with a little more egg and leave to cool for 5 mins. Serve with a salad.
* Option to add bacon bits and cheese to the potato/creme fraiche mix