CASHEW VEGAN CARBONARA (by France)
I've always looooved carbonara pasta dishes but my tummy has not always loved the way it feels after I devour them. So recently, I tried this vegan carbonara sauce made from cashew, nutritional yeast and lemon. Before you shy away from this recipe because it has nutritional yeast - yes, for me too, until now, this ingredient was reserved for vegans only... but give it a try because it's an amazing cheese alternative that's nutty and cheesy! And it's easy to find in any supermarket. So enjoy this creamy yet light and non-dairy pasta dish. Bon appetit!
Serves 3 l Difficulty level: easy l Prep time: 2h20l Total time: 2h20
1 cup cashews (soaked overnight)
3/4 cup vegetable stock
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 onion minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt & pepper
1 cup green peas
2 cups mushrooms (300g, sliced)
8 oz spaghetti pasta (250g)
3/4 small onion (use the rest from the sauce)
1. Rinse the soaked cashews and place in blender along with the rest of ingredients. If you didn't have time to soak cashews over night, 2 hours or more will do.
2. Blend until you have smooth, creamy texture and set aside.
3. Cook the pasta as per package instructions, cool down and drizzle with olive oil, set aside.
4. Heat up medium frying pan and add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
5. Add onion and mushrooms and stir fry until golden brown (about 5 mins).
6. In parallel: boil two sauce pans of water to cook both, the peas and the pasta.
7. Once everything is cooked, add peas to the pan and cook further for 3 mins, stir in the cashew cheese and pasta and mix until well combined.
8. Serve immediately, sprinkle with fresh parsley