FOIS GRAS ON ROASTED BANANAS W/ A PAPAYA CHUTNEY (by Maman)
Maman grew up on the Reunion Island, an island located off the coast of Africa, where she used to eat loads of mini bananas - the kind you tend to often find in Tropical countries. While she was brainstorming new recipes of our upcoming Christmas eve dinner, she came up with this creative sweet & savory combination that is to die for... bon appetit!
Serves 3 l Difficulty: easy l Prep time: 10min l Total time: 45min
1 fois gras
6 mini bananas (or 3 big ones)
1 red onion
1 papaya, peeled & diced
1/8 cup brown sugar (30g)
1 lime, juiced
3 strands cilantro, sliced
Black pepper & salt
Cayenne pepper, pinch
1/2 cup water
1. Heat your oven at 410F (210C).
2. Sautee the onion with the sugar, lime juice, cilantro leaves and water into a pan. Add salt, pepper and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Bring water to boil.
3. Add the papaya and cook for 15 minutes while mixing often.
4. Peel one side of each banana and slice the bananas across its whole length. Place them in a rectangular baking dish.
5. Spread the papaya chutney on top of each banana and bake them in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
6. Serve luke warm... place 2 bananas per plate with a slice of fois gras in the middle. Season with salt and cilantro for decoration.