ORANGE, CARROT & CUMIN SOUP (by France)
I love food with bright colors and bright flavors. This is one of them - try this delicious mix of carrots, oranges and cumin into a cold or warm soup. A match made in heaven. Bon appetit!
Serves 5 l Difficulty: easy l Prep time: 15min l Total time: 35min
1 lb of carrots, peeled and chopped into 1 inch disks
3 medium white onions, finely sliced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 orange – juice and grated zest
4 cups of vegetable stock
Salt & pepper
1. Heat one teaspoon of olive oil in a large sauce pan then throw in the spices and fry for a minute. Add the sliced onion, the orange zest and a dash of water (without more oil or butter they will stick to the pan when sweating down) and sweat down over a low heat with the lid on for around 10 minutes until very soft – add more water if they dry out.
2. Add the carrots and 2/3 of the stock to the sauce pan and and cook until the carrots are very tender.
3. Allow the mixture to cool slightly then liquify.
4. Return to the cleaned out sauce pan and add as much as the remaining stock as you want to get to a thickness you like. Also add the orange juice at this point.
5. Heat right up again, season generously with salt and pepper and serve piping hot with a small piece of wholemeal bread.