PEPPER & CACHACA FLANS (by Maman)
Maman loves Brazil... I suspect she loves it so much because of its native cachaca. This is a creative recipe she came up with recently. It mixes boozy cachaca with bright-colored peppers and a Japanese all-natural seaweed gelatin. Give it a try and let us know how it tasted. Bon appetit!
Serves 2 l Difficulty: high l Prep time: 15min l Total time: 35min
4 red peppers, washed and sliced
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup creme fraiche
Healthy pinch of salt & pepper
2 tablespoons cachaca (Brazilian spirit)
1 tablespoon agar agar flakes (a natural seaweed gelatin)
1. Mix all ingredients (but creme fraiche & cachaca) in sauce pan for about 20 minutes until peppers are tender.
2. Blend all ingredients (included creme fraiche & cachaca) into a runny smooth coulis.
3. Pour coulis into sauce pan. Add agar agar and mix until it boils.
4. While still hot, pour mix into small volcano-shaped molds. I used these - and they worked great.
5. Store in the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour so that the mix hardens in the molds.
6. Take molds out of the fridge and take the hardened flans out from their molds. Serve on a dark-colored plate (for biggest visual impact).