PRUNE & SAUSAGE LOAF (by Maman)
Savory loaves are somewhat Maman's specialty... she loves to make them and we love to eat them. As a mom of 4, Maman was busy and had a lot of mouths to feed (we were 4 girls in the house but always had healthy appetites). She came up with this savory & sweet mix as a way to hold us until Papa came back from work... When we were kids, one of the family's must was that we'd dine together everyday. This family time together was important to my parents and they (almost) stuck to it throughout our childhood but that meant waiting for Papa to come back from work, which sometimes was late and we were starving. Maman's loaves were our go to while we waited. Serve it as an appetizer, nibbles or a side. Bon appetit!
Serves 8 l Difficulty: easy l Prep time: 30min l Total time: 1h10
1lb ground sausage (any type you like best!)
20 spinach leaves
1 parsley bunch
20 pitted prunes
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup red wine
Salt & pepper
1. Dip prunes in water to rehydrate them.
2. In another bowl, mix finely cut onion & spinach.
3. Add ground sausage to the mix.
4. Add salt, pepper and drained prunes.
5. Use a silicone cake mold or cover traditional cake mold with butter.
6. Pour mix in mold and place mold in a larger container filled with 3 inches of water so you can slow cook the cake in a bain-marie or water bath.
7. Place in 392F oven for 30-40minutes.
8. Serve room temperature or cold with salad.