CORN & ZUCCHINI PANCAKES (by France)
I made these when I was in LA last month, at my best friend's house. We wanted to serve them as a starter for dinner but they didn't last until then! She's got kids who devoured those veggie pancakes in minutes. The kids loved it and we did too. Make them as a starter, on the go snack or for your kids meal. They can even be served as a side to a meat or fish dish. Bon appetit!
Serves 6 l Difficulty: easy l Prep time: 15min l Total time: 45min
4 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
3 cups grated zucchini (about one large zucchini)
1 cup fresh sweet corn off the cob or frozen corn
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or your favorite cheese)
1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1. In a large bowl, combine eggs, oil, salt, pepper and dried herbs. Whisk to combine.
2. Add the zucchini, corn and cheddar cheese and stir thoroughly with a spatula.
3. Add the flour and stir until thoroughly combined and there are no pockets of dry flour hiding in the batter.
4. Heat a large cast-iron skillet or griddle to medium-high heat, adding a very small amount of oil to the skillet/griddle.
5. Using a big spoon, scoop 1/4-cupfuls of batter onto the skillet and flatten, if necessary, with the back of the scoop into a circle about 4 inches in diameter. Cook on each side about 3-4 minutes, or until a deep golden brown.
6. Remove from skillet and transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining batter.
7. Serve warm as appetizer or tapas, with your favorite toppings (e.g. sour cream, guacamole)