PEAR & SWEET POTATO SOUP (by France)
It's not quite Fall in NY yet, we're still enjoying Summer days, beach dresses and evenings outdoors... but I'm eager to start eating Fall veggies! Here's a pear and sweet potato soup that is super simple to make and to die for. Bon appetit!
Serves 8 l Difficulty: easy l Prep time: 20min l Total time: 60min
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 garlic clove, minced
1 sprig fresh thyme leaves
5 cups vegetable stock
2 pears (any variety), peeled, cored, and chopped
3/4 cup chopped celery
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/16 (a pinch) teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (about half a lemon)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Add olive oil to the bottom of a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, carrots and cook until onions are soft and translucent, but other vegetables needn't be soft.
2. Add the turmeric powder and garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds, stirring. Add in the broth, sweet potatoes, pears, and salt and stir well. Add in the honey.
3. Continue cooking over medium low heat, allowing to simmer, for about 30 to 40 minutes until the vegetables have softened. Remove from the heat.
4. Puree until smooth with a hand blender or in a regular blender, filling only half way each time, starting the blender on low and holding top with a kitchen towel.
5. Add more broth or lemon juice if you want a thinner consistency. Add the nutmeg, stirring. Add the lemon juice and stir.
6. Garnish with thyme sprigs or chopped parsley to serve.