STUFFED SWEET POTATOES (by France)
Anything with tahini is delicious but if you add sweet potatoes, lime and parsley to the mix... then you're in heaven! Eat those as a light entree or a side to a meat or fish dish and tell us what you think! Bon appetit!
Serves 4 l Difficulty: easy l Prep time: 15min l Total time: 45min
4 sweet potatoes, cut in half lengthwise
For chickpea stuffing
2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 cups chickpeas (roughly one 15-ounce can, drained)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger (1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger)
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon soy sauce
For ginger Tahini sauce
1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
¼ cup tahini
1 lime, juiced (about 2 tablespoons of juice)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
hot water to thin, about 2-3 tablespoons (if needed)
2 Green onions, sliced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro (or other leafy herb)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking dish with parchment paper. Set the sweet potatoes, flesh side down, onto the parchment. Bake sweet potatoes until they are tender all the way through, about 40 minutes (it can take less time depending on your oven).
2. While sweet potatoes bake, heat the coconut oil in skillet over medium heat. In a medium bowl, toss the chickpeas with the cumin, ginger, coriander, maple syrup and soy sauce.
3. Transfer the chickpeas to the skillet. Sauté chickpeas until visibly browned and lightly dried. The spices should form a golden “crust” on the outside of the chickpeas. This should take about 5 minutes with intermittent stirring.
4. Using the same bowl that you tossed the chickpeas in, quickly whisk the tahini sauce. Add and mix it together the ginger, tahini, lime juice, soy sauce, maple syrup. Once it’s totally smooth, add enough hot water to get the sauce to pourable consistency. Whisk thoroughly and set aside.
5. Place baked sweet potatoes on plates or a platter. Scoop a bit of sweet potato out of each half. Top the sweet potato halves with tahini sauce, the cooked chickpeas, green onions, cilantro/herbs, sesame seeds. Serve lime wedges on the side.